Saturday, September 26, 2009

Is obsession ever healthy?

And the answer is: YES!

I'll admit it, I'm an avid stalker of Tegan and Sara. If you know me well, then you have probably gotten your dose of my favourite twinsies. Their sixth album is due to drop in a month, October 27th to be precise, and I've been all over Youtube trying to catch a glimpse of their new material. Alas! They finally played at the Rifflandia Festival yesterday and debuted a couple of new tracks (cue the fan girl scream!). In all their glory, here are the videos to the new songs:


Okay, wow. Sara's voice?? Sara's hair?? I am thoroughly convinced that I am lesbian for Sara, and only Sara. Does anyone know a Sara in male form that they can introduce me to? I will be forever indebted to you -- forever. And the song. I like that they've drifted away from the guitars for this song, and instead took to the keys to create a poppy, dance sound. Definitely something different from their previous work. And naming the song Alligator is an automatic win in my book. And from what I can salvage from the video, the song begins with some pretty amazing lyrics: "Sensitive, it's true/ alligator tears crying over you/ over you, over you/ over you , over you/ run around on me, sooner die without/ run around on me, die without." Oh Sara, you always knew the words to my heart.


Probably my favourite song so far and the song that I have dissected the most. On Directing has a catchy rhythm fronted by beautiful vocals and laced with simple, yet eargasmic guitar riffs. I am assuming Ted is in the back tinkling his fingers on the synth keyboards -- isn't it amazing how simple synth keys can add so much to a song? And let's not forget the bassline. Hello at 1:33 when the song breaks into just a bassline riff. Definitely a portion of the song worth noting. And Tegan's backup soprano vocals to counter Sara's tenor vocals. Wow. I have always loved their vocal arrangments, and their unique style definitely comes out with this song. I wish I could say more on lyrics, but I have nothing solid yet. However, from what I can make out, I can tell Sara has some genius metaphor at work within the song.


Whatever instrument is making the sound at 3:16 = I like.


Tegan just went folk on me, again. I mean, I loved 'Living Room,' and I give the song credit, because it was one of the first songs that got me hooked to them, but I don't really know what to say for this song yet...


This song has an interesting concept, with a catchy tune, but what I really want to know is the lyrics. I want to see how she relates "8 blocks of hell" to love. Shall be interesting.


So I am pissing-in-my-pants excited for this album, and I can't wait to hear what the studio versions of these songs will sound like. Being just a five piece band while performing live, I'm sure the studio versions will have a more sonically in-depth sound -- not to say their live versions don't. As usual, I'm leaning more towards Sara's songs simply because her songs tend to be more intense and complex, but I ain't complaining, because Tegan's simple love songs definitely help to balance out some of Sara's heavier and more intricate songs.

And for anyone interested in spending some hard earned money on amazing music, the pre-sale to Tegan and Sara's album Sainthood, as well as the three books they've been putting together this past year named On, In, At - respectively - will occur this Monday (9/28), so get that credit card ready!

LN LU

No comments: