Tuesday, June 23, 2009

lock up when you're done

It's weird how you can go through an entire album during a certain period in your life, and only certain songs catch your attention, but when you go back and listen to it again at different time in your life, different songs catch your ears. I've heard Chairlift's 'Does You Inspire You' so many times, and previously, songs like Bruises, Evident Utensil, Planet Health and Make Up Your Mind were the songs that I kept hitting repeat on, but right now, as I'm sitting here typing this, the songs that are cycling around on my iTunes are Somewhere Around Here, Territory and Don't Give a Damn. I guess different mindset, equates to different mood, which results in different taste in music.

So far, this summer has been pretty rad. I got a job at Borders, which totally rocks considering I get to surround myself with the sounds of music, the aroma of coffee and the knowledge of books. I get to hang out with friend in both Arcadia and Irvine, since I've got an apartment in Irvy right now. I'm constantly jamming on my two guitars, and occasionally giving my blistering fingers a rest by tickling the ivory keys. And every morning I get to wake up to a cup of coffee, my laptop and some tunes from my iTunes. Not bad.

My summer goals are looking pretty good right now. Still making $$$, started my reading list by re-reading Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (does that count as 1 book off my "Must Read 20 Books by the End of Summer" list even though I've read it before?), and I got to see Chairlift last week at the Getty.

As I mentioned above, I got to see Chairlift last week at the Getty, and though I was originally a big fan of their more upbeat songs, I couldn't help but feel totally taken by their slower melancholy songs - probably the contribution as to why I'm repetitively listening to those specific songs right now. Pretty awesome set, and they're so incredibly nice. Extremely drugged up when I met them, but still cool. Took some fisheye photos with them - does this mean we're friends? Probably not. So I guess I still have to fulfill my goal of being friends with a musician. Regardless, I can't wait to develop the roll!

Haven't spent too much time with Kristen and Annie (insert sad face). We can never get our schedules to fit one another. Blame work and summer school. Annie is leaving for San Diego next week to take summer school, so it'll be a bummer if we don't get some quality time in!

Recently trying to get back in touch with my musical side, so besides the guitar and piano, I've downloaded an electronic synthesizer onto my computer to fool around with since I can't exactly afford one right now. Got to save the $$$ for my Nikon d90 and potential Macbook (?). Interesting on the computer, but definately not the same as a real one. I guess for now, I'll just stick with the keyboard sitting in my room.

Ok, so I'm going to post 4 songs. Overload. I think not.

This first song, 'Joints' by Holly Miranda, is what I'm currently learning on the guitar. I've got all of it down, now, it's just a matter of practice. I've also got parts of her song 'Every Time I Go to Sleep' down on the piano. Only time will tell!



And these next 3 songs are all Chairlift songs that I'm constantly hitting repeat on. Hopefully I get these songs stuck in your head, because they're THAT good.







LN LU

No comments: