Monday, April 27, 2009

Indie, How-dayy!

I should be writing my HumCore essay, but I prefer procrastinating so I'll write about this little inquiry I have...

Since when did indie become mainstream? I guess this is a weird questions, because of its contradictive nature, but there is no way you can consider something or someone indie/independent, if they hit the mainstream market. I think it's this increased desire to be affiliated with "out of the norm," because the notion of independence and self-governance is way more chic than being dependant and controlled by others. That's understandable I guess, but it's odd how people are choosing to be considered indie for the sake of appearing different, or even unique, when the idea of being indie is no longer..."indie," for lack of better term. I put indie in quotes, because I'm referring to the definition of the word, which was originally defined as the following: a) outside the realms of mainstream; b) small, low-budget; c) indepedent; d) private e) etc.. Interesting to see the term indie get inverted inside out. It no longer stands for what it used to, and I'm not sure if it pains me more to know that there is a loss of this community, or the fact that I once considered myself a part of this sub-culture (actually, I still do HA). I think the principles and ideals behind the term indie has completely lost its edge. Painful, but true. Things that were geared towards this sub-culture have become mainstream phenomenons. From music, to fasion, to film, to literature, to record labels, etc. OR, I'm just way fucking overthinking this just so I have an excuse to babble. I don't really want to work on my essay, and Death Cab for Cutie is only 3 days away, that I can practically hear Ben Gibbard's voice in my ears.

Off topic: This weekend I went home; Kristen, Annie and I roamed around Pasadena, and could not help but stop at this HUGE motherfucking barn restaurant called 'Something' Burner (forgot, oops), which is inspired by Texas culture. This was not a coincidence, but I totally matched that place (minus the peace sign of course).

No comments: