Sunday, April 19, 2009

Inspirational Vibrations

Ok, so in honor of record store day (which was yesterday), here is a list of female-fronted bands that I think will make it big real soon, and if they don't, then there is something seriously wrong with people's ears...or maybe there's something wrong with my ears, but I highly doubt it.

http://www.myspace.com/meganouchida
Starting us off is Megan Ouchida from Portland, Oregon. Her songs are simple, yet complex by all intangible means. Genes, Skin and Bones and So Far have been one of my favourites for a while, and they both can never seem to get old (which is a good thing). Plus her love for Tegan and Sara only gives her more bonus points!


http://www.myspace.com/hollymiranda
This girl...she has a voice that can eat you alive. If you haven't seen her cover of Elliott Smith's Between the Bar, then I dare you to Youtube it. Her up and coming album is produced by the production genius Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio, and judging from what I've heard so far, she is definately going somewhere. Even Pitchfork, Tripwire and Kanye (yes! even Kanye!) are raving about her. Slow Treason, Waves and Joints (which is actually from her previous band The Jealous Girlfriends) are songs to look out for.


http://www.myspace.com/feverray
I swear, I think Sweden is on a mission to take over the music world. ABBA, The Hives, Jose Gonzalez, Lykke Li, The Knife - just to name a few. And now, Fever Ray, the solo project of The Knife's front-woman Karin Dreijer Andersson. Her haunting and jagged voice makes her music obscure to the tenth power. I also highly recommend looking up her music video for When I Grow Up (which I posted a few posts below) if you REALLY want to get a taste of how weird and indefinite her style can be. Definately a winner.


http://www.myspace.com/telepathe
Lastly, my soft spot for electro-dance music has prevailed, and I am once again listening to monotonous voices backed by synth laden power beats. Regardless of monotone voices, these girls have some pretty addictive songs. Give a listen, I bet you will like it.

And! If you haven't checked out a record store in a while, or ever!, I suggest you look up your local record store and go! Or you can always go to Amoeba Records, which was named the #1 independent record store in the nation by SPIN.com. Amoeba Records is music heaven, and there is no way you can walk in without walking out with a record. Your music soul will be fulfilled and enlightened. TRUST.

LN LU

No comments: