Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More than this - there is nothing

I've never really been a big fan of covers, I'm more of an "original" girl if you would say, but as of lately, my perception of covers is slowly changing. I think it's so interesting to have one artist personalize another artist's song and change the entire meaning of it. They rearrange guitars, change piano melodies into guitar melodies, change the tone, or sing it in a completely different voice. These tweeks take a song, and transform it into something completely new. Seriously, I've heard covers that take a song that I know and turn it into something I can hardly recognize, and to my suprise, the change is nice. Take for instance, this song called "More Than This" by Roxy Music and the cover done by Missy Higgins:





Both versions are amazing, yet completely different. From the tone, to the beat, to the sound - everything about the song is completely changed when Missy sings it. It's almost like the song has a different meaning from what it originally intended. Albeit, it's still a love song regardless of which version you listen to, but the original version has this almost upbeat, optimistic vibe towards love, and in Missy's version, it has more of a mellow, nostalgic approach towards love. I officially LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear covers now. I think it's a very specific and difficult realm of art to take a song, especially a song written and sung by a music icon, or even your idol, and making it into your own, to personalize it and make your mark on it. Fascinating...

LN LU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love tegan and sara covers but not so much with ..."umbrella"

"rebel rebel" is good :)