Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thank you for listening to...

So, today was the first DJ training session...thoughts? Extremely intense, but I'm soooooo fucking stoked! There are basically 7 requirements I need to fulfill in order to earn my DJ badge, and they consist of: attending all the classes, passing the test (yes, there's a test), attending 2 studioB sessions, helping with 2 music/talk shows, fulfilling at least 15 hours of studio volunteering, turning in a "skim tape" (a 15 minute demo tape of songs I would play on air), and lastly, purchasing a training manual. A lot to take in, a lot to participate in, and a lot to learn, but my brain is a pool of knowledge that has yet to be filled, so I'm suiting up in my music-enthusiast suit and getting myself a show!

So...if I were to get a show, what exactly would it be on? Well, today we introduced ourselves in class and annouced what kind of music/talk show we would be interested in airing, and to sum up my idea in a nutshell, I want to have an eclectic music show, pulling from all sorts of genres ranging from indie rock, pop, electronica, folk, acoustic, experimental, shoegazing, instrumental, dance, etc...The list could go on...AND to add my own little twist, I want to talk about the world of art, journalism and literature. Don't really know how that will work, but the tweeking will come later, once I get a show :)

And in closing, I was thinking of ways I could introduce my show and as of now, my favourite is: "You're listening to Ellen, brining you the lastest, greatest and under-rated."

LN LU

--Edit--
So I was trying to make a playlist of songs I could potentially put onto the skim tape, and it dawned upon me how hard this was going to be. The problem isn't that I can't find songs to put on the tape, but that I have WAY too many to possibly narrow it down to 4-5 songs. Now, 15 minutes seems so short...too short. Or maybe I misheard and the dude said 50 minutes...

No comments: